Do I Need Fingerprints For JAMB Change of Institutions/Courses?

A few readers had asked me if they would need fingerprint scanning during the change of institution/course registrations. In other words, they want to know if to do JAMB change of institutions/courses will require fingerprints and biometrics.

There is actually the need to ask this question if you’re a first-timer for JAMB or this is your first time to change any of your data

Candidates who are contemplating on whether to hand over the change of data to their parents, teachers, or friends are wondering if their presence will be required before they can change their information on the JAMB portal.

This post won’t only clarify whether you will need to do finger scanning for the JAMB UTME/DE change of institution/courses but will also add other alternations of data including names, date of birth, state, local government, and gender.

Change of Data is Beyond Institutions and Courses

You have to be informed that the JAMB change of data is a broad language use to describe your attempt to change:

  1. institutions
  2. courses
  3. date of birth
  4. state of origin
  5. the local government of origin and 
  6. gender

For any of these activities, in the past, candidates were only required to make a payment and proceed to alter things at any cafe or internet business center or by themselves. 

However, starting from the 2020 admission year, to alter any of these items, after the payment, candidates are required to visit the nearest JAMB accredited CBT center

Although a few cafes seem to have connected with the right CBT center to help you cut the traveling and stress of going to CBT centres. Yet, they’re not allowed to officially handle any of these changes.

READ MORE  Can I Serve at NYSC After NCE Programme?

Going to CBT Centre Gives Raise to Asking Whether There is Need for Fingerprints

Having said that only the CBT centres were officially allowed to register you for changes, you might have concluded that these should be due to the fact that fingerprints could be required (just like when registering UTME/DE).

As a matter of fact, you won’t need a fingerprint or biometric scanning in order to do JAMB UTME/DE change of data – be it institutions, courses, date of birth, names, gender, state/LGA

All it takes to change data include:

  1. Making payment of N2,500 on the JAMB portal: You can make this payment by yourself or through the CBT center or a cafe. If you decide to do that yourself, you will need a Mastercard. You have to log into your JAMB profile first, proceed to the right section, and make the payment.
  2. Getting OTP through your JAMB phone number: After a successful payment, you will receive an SMS from 55019 directly on your JAMB phone line. This message will contain an OTP. This will be required for the changes
  3. Taking the OTP to a CBT centre or JAMB office: While proceeding to the CBT centre, cafe, or JAMB office, take the OTP, JAMB profile code, and full names along.
  4. JAMB email and profile code equally needed: There is a need to match your email and profile code at the JAMB office or the CBT centre. That’s why these other details are needed.


Changing your institutions, courses, and similar data doesn’t require fingerprints or any biometrics. And it doesn’t matter whether the changes are being made at a CBT centre, JAMB office, or cafe. None will ask you to do a fingerprint of any sort.

READ MORE  Can I Choose a School Twice With Different/Same Courses?

Best Related Posts

  1. Universities and Others Accepting Change of Institutions and Those Who Are Not
  2. Universities/Polytechnics You Can Change To With Lower Marks
  3. Can I Do Change of Institution and Post UTME Same Day?
  4. After The Changing Of Institutions and Courses, What Next?
  5. Is Change of Institutions/Courses One Payment for All or Separate Charges?

Related Articles